Tuesday, February 25, 2014

AN INDICTMENT

It’s all over the news.
It seems to be all over the world as well as our nation.
Gay hate.
Bills to discriminate against them,
I have been fooled.  I have been wrong.
I have been a Southern Baptist all my life.  In every church there were
The racists, The bigoted.  But I thought as a denomination we were going the right way.
1850 was a long time ago when we split with the American Baptist to form our own convention and denomination
Over slavery We struggled.  I thought we wanted to change,  to follow Christ’s way.  The way of redemption.  Everything
Considered sin was not condoned, but redemption, I thought, was the way we sought to deal with all sin.
I was wrong.  I worked so hard at what I believed that when racism raised its ugly head in an experience of
My family, I got through it believing it was , or trying to believe it was an aberration.  I was wrong and I was stupid.
My friends glossed it over with, “Well, that’s the way it is in our county”.  The policeman, said, ‘Oh that’s the way it
Is” and drove off without a word or investigation.  Everyone acted as though this horrible incident to my family did not happen.
It is still 1850 for Southern Baptists even if they did elect an African American as the denomination's President.
I heard no comments from our leadership on the murders of young men in Florida.
One said to me, “They(African American men) are not made murderers, they are born murderers.” Voter nullification is back.  Jim Crow lives.

Now voice after voice is being raised against gays.  In the pulpits of American the hate campaign is on.
Not only as a Christian, but as an American it is inconceivable to me that people think it is right to
deny freedom and the rights of the constitution to ANYONE FOR ANY REASON.
We have responsibility to speak to what is right and wrong to our convictions.  But that we think
that is also the right to physically deny, hurt, kill, or discriminate in God’s name is evil to a degree that
It is hard to put the right adjectives with it.

It is Religion, but it is not of Jesus.
It is Baptist, but it is not of Jesus.
We are not trying to build the kingdom of God, But the cultural kingdom of man. 
We do not follow the “Way” and “Truth” which is Jesus, we follow the Tribal god of the old testament that loves only us and approves the murder of those not like us.

I dare any of you to read the words of Jesus in Mark or Luke and justify what is going on with all this hatred and persecution.

I call upon you to turn from this or we will go the way of other world religions and nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment